Thursday, September 25, 2014

Week 3

     This week I learned about conjunctions and disjunctions. I learned a few new logic notation symbols for " and" (used in conjunction statements) and "or" (used in disjunction statements). "And" combines two elements so that both of them are true, and "or" combines statements so at least one of them is true.We then applied both of these to the concept we learned in the previous class, predicates. I found this part of the lecture interesting, as I learned to combine this new topic with a previous one.
     I then learned about the negation and its symbol. We did a few examples with it, recognizing that the negation of a universal quantification is an existential quantification, and the negation of an existential quantification is a universal quantification. I found the fact that the negation of both types of quantification is each other very interesting.
     We then talked about scope, and how a parentheses helps define the scope of a statement. The placement of the parentheses is very important in determining the order in which the statement if evaluated. This makes all the difference in determining whether statements are true or false.
     We then learned about truth tables and how to use them. It turns out that truth tables can be used for a variety of different reasons, including evaluating expressions, determining the satisfiability of a statement, and proving equivalence between statements. Professor Zhang even demonstrated through an example how we could prove DeMorgan's law through truth tables.I found truth tables to be very practical, and will definitely be using them in the future.
       We briefly reviewed some other laws, such as the associative law and the commutative law,(among others) before ending the lecture. I will further review these laws before the next lecture in order to refresh my memory.
      In order to remember the material seen in this lecture, I will review the course notes and go over the Professor Zhang's slides.
     In the tutorial, we reviewed the exercise given beforehand. A lot of people, including myself, had trouble getting through the worksheet. I was slightly more confident about the material after T.A. Elias explained the questions further, but I still had my doubts. I did not feel confident as I did the quiz at the end of the tutorial, but I still managed to think of a solution which made sense. This is what I put on my paper, and I hope it is correct.
   





No comments:

Post a Comment